Storytelling Techniques for Kids Entertainers
Discover how to create a character and book library shows
What have age, storytelling techniques, library shows, Indiana Jones and Santa got in common?
They are are all part of the world of Stephen Gillham, who has used his age and his looks to create a new character Montana Jones (Indiana’s big brother) to showcase his storytelling abilities in his new library show.
Stephen first came to our attention when we met him at the Kidabra Kids Entertaining Convention in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
He was part of the Santa Jam, a get together of professional Santas. You can hear that interview here on our sister podcast Magician Business Podcast Episode 34.
We talk to Stephen about Montana Jones. Montana is Indiana’s brother. He is an explorer and had many adventures just like Indiana, looking for treasure and artifacts.
It gets more intriguing …. all of his artefacts have stories and most have magical effects.
In this episode we discuss:
– Playing to your strengths
– Am I too old to be a children’s entertainer?
– What would you say to others who think age is a barrier?
– What is it about storytelling that you like?
– What is about storytelling that the people who book you like?
– What is it about storytelling that kids like?
– How long is a library show?
– What storytelling techniques do you use?
– What is the process you followed to develop the new character,
– Where do the ideas came from?
– What are the steps you follow to create a stage character?
– Which magic tricks work well in library shows?
– How much magic vs. how much storytelling?
– How do you weave storytelling into library shows?
– The importance of good promotional photos to help you get booked for summer reading programs in libraries.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Our sponsors are…
Spectator Party Art: A custom caricatured logo (that’s a cartoon for us non techie types) by Spectator Party Art puts a colourful and exciting version of you – the entertainer – front and centre in your customers mind.
Custom Magic Kits: Customised magic kits branded with your name and photo and website are the perfect way for you to get an extra stream of income from your kids entertaining business.
Add a little bit of inspiration with all that perspiration
In 1986, Julian Mather’s grandmother gave him a book of handwritten quotes and proverbs and ideas to help guide his life’s compass. Each week on the podcast Julian opens up this book and shares one of them with us ….
Now it’s your turn!
What did you think of this episode? Please share your comments below. Thanks for listening.