KEH054: How Important Are Props, Presentation Skills, and Personality in Kids Entertaining
How Important Are Props, Presentation Skills, and Personality in Kids EntertainingWhat makes a successful kids show and entertainer—the performer’s props, presentation skills, or personality? In this podcast episode, award-winning children’s entertainer and ventriloquist John Kimmons discusses all these three and more.
In this episode we discuss:
- The importance of showmanship over props and how John realized this
- A common mistake John often sees starting magicians and children’s entertainers commit
- How often he gets “bad” shows
- How he gets honest criticism or feedback on his shows
- How long he expects to keep on entertaining and what future he sees for kids entertaining
- Performing for technology-savvy children
- Effective techniques he uses to build rapport with his audience
- How he deals with chatty adults during his shows
- His racing game
- His weakness: strolling magic
- The age groups he loves performing for
- Why he specializes in children’s and family entertaining
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Kids Entertainers Facebook Group
Our sponsors are…
Muse: Creative websites for children’s entertainers. Designed to attract, engage, and convert lookers into bookers.
GMD Formula: Add variety to your magic show with games, magic, and disco. This is the perfect material for continuous professional development for family and children’s entertainers.
Now it’s your turn!
What did you think of this episode? Please share your comments below. Thanks for listening!